- Golden Fry cooking oil
- 3 cups Basmati Rice
- 3 whole cardamom pods
- 1/4 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 Kgs of chicken thighs
- 1 cup whole milk yoghurt
- Whisk together the yogurt, salt, and turmeric in a large bowl. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Let it sit at room temperature until ready to use, up to 1 hour. (Alternatively, the chicken can be marinated for up to 2 days covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator).
- Bring the rice, salt, cloves, cardamom pods, and 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Cook for exactly 5 minutes.Drain and transfer the rice and spices to a medium bowl.
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 150 degrees Celsius
- Add Golden Fry oil to a saucepan and fry the onions. Add the cinnamon stick, cumin seeds and the remaining cloves of garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until the spices are very fragrant and beginning to brown, about 1 minute.
- Stir in 1/2 cup water, bring to a boil and scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and layer on the sauce. Top with the rice and spices. Cover the saucepan and bake until the liquid evaporates, rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Serve while hot!